Re: transmission rear seal

To: Jim King <kingjf@stny.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: transmission rear seal
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:28:02 -0400
Hi Jim,

I'm no expert, but I have 4 transmissions out of the cars. An original 4 speed
from my TR250 (60K
original miles), an MGB LH OD rebuilt by John Esposito, a TR6 A type OD rebuilt
by John Esposito,
and an 80's Volvo with J type OD -- supposedly rebuilt. All turn about the
same. Just grab the
splined input shaft with a gloved hand, grip with some strength, but not a lot,
and turn it.

At one point I thought the 80's Volvo had seized, but I just put on a leather
work glove, gave it a
healthy grip and turned it.

I'd guess not all these transmissions are in neutral -- the output shafts are
turning but maybe that
would happen even if they were in neutral -- maybe somebody else knows. I never
tried to grip both
ends try to stop the output shaft from turning.

Don Malling