Re: transmission rear seal

To: Jim King <kingjf@stny.rr.com>, triumph list
Subject: Re: transmission rear seal
From: Jim <cartr4a@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 16:08:39 -0700 (PDT)
I changed my rear trans seal last week and wondered the same thing.  After
taking a few measurements, it looked like if I tapped the seal in far enough to
meet the bearing that the lip of the seal would be close to the tapered end of
the flange hub.  My measurements seemed to indicate that the seal was flush
with the casting originally.  I ended up tapping the seal in about 1/16 from
the edge of the casting just so that the seal would ride in a different spot on
the flange hub.

Jim
'67 TR-4A
'68 GT6
'73 Spit6
http://www.geocities.com/britishiron2000

Jim King <kingjf@stny.rr.com> wrote:
For correct installation of the oil seal in the transmission rear casting.

Should the seal be pushed all the in to match up to the bearing seat, or
should the face of the seal be flush to the casting end. Handbook doesn't
give an answer.

Another question...how easy should I be able to turn the transmission shaft
when it's fully assembled (in neutral).

Jim King
75 TR6 - CF37710U
68 TR250 - CD8155L