Re: TR4 ignition timing with Ignitor

To: steven@newellboys.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 ignition timing with Ignitor
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 17:27:09 EDT
In a message dated 5/7/2005 2:20:59 PM Central Standard Time,
steven@newellboys.com writes:
> I set out to follow the directions from the VTR site for setting the
> ignition timing on my TR4, but I have a Pertronix Ignitor. So I don't
> have a low tension lead to disconnect at the distributor. What should I
> do? Should I connect the test wire to the connector on the coil end of
> that wire?
>     http://www.vtr.org/maintain/Setting-the-Ignition-Timing-on-a-TR.pdf

What I would do since I have a voltmeter is to leave everything hooked up and
connect the voltmeter to the breaker side of the coil (red lead) and ground
(black lead) and get the crank set to the position described and then loosen
the clamp bolt.  Then turn on the ignition and adjust the distributor until the
voltage at the coil just switches from low to high whilst rotating the
distributor in the direction opposite of normal rotor travel.  Move quickly in
this
last step since neither the pertronix nor the coil like being energized full
time.

> Otherwise I was considering a trial and error approach, moving the
> distributor a bit one way or the other and seeing how it feels on a
> brisk drive. The benefit is that I would have an excuse to take a number
> of brisk drives. Like we need an excuse.

Do this in any event.  It is what is in the manual.

If you don't have a meter you can always reinstall your points and follow
their instructions.  When you get done put a timing light on it and note the
position of the timing mark.  Then reinstall the pertronix and adjust until the
timing mark is in the same position.

Cheers

Dave Massey