RE: TR3 Trunion

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Trunion
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 20:59:32 -0700
> This is an I wonder why question...how come the trunions are made of  brass?
> There had to be a reason to engineer softer metal at that critical  place.

The hard/soft metal forms a very long wearing and rugged bearing.  Not as high
tech as a ball or roller bearing perhaps, but stronger (for their size) and easy
(cheap) to make.  The same principle is found in many bearings in a car
(frequently called bushings), such as the rod & main bearings, wrist pin
bearings, etc.

> Are all trunions made of brass?

The term "trunnion" just refers to the type of joint, so no, not all trunnions
are made with brass.  Here's one made of wood !
http://www.machinecnc.com/trunnion.html

Randall