TR6 backfire from carbutretor

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 backfire from carbutretor
From: "Doug Nicotera" <dougnicotera@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 17:09:46 -0400
Friends,
I was driving my '73 TR6 around town and it started to backfire sporadically
from under the hood.... just like that, out of nowhere. It had been running
fine up until then. I made it home, but the backfiring became very regular.
Upon inspection, I found that it was coming from the rear carb.

I tried the obvious-- pulled the carb, checked it out and everything seems
fine. Checked coil, ignition wires, distributor, timing, & plugs. Please note
that the motor has less than a couple hundred miles on it since being rebuilt
last year.

I did a quick Google search and found articles that allude to a stuck intake
valve. Can this be expected so soon after a rebuild, or is there something
else to look at?

Thanks in advance!
Doug Nicotera
Harrisburg PA