RE: TR6 backfire from carbutretor

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 backfire from carbutretor
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 14:54:56 -0700
> I did a quick Google search and found articles that allude to a
> stuck intake
> valve. Can this be expected so soon after a rebuild, or is there something
> else to look at?

It's possible, and shortly after a rebuild is when you would expect
problems.  Try running a quick compression check ... if you've really got a
stuck valve then that cylinder will be way down on compression.

The aftermarket phosphor-bronze valve guides seem to be very popular, and it
appears that many mechanics are unaware that they need to be reamed after
installation.  The manuals don't mention it, since the original cast-iron
guides didn't need reaming.  The bronze guides also need more clearance than
stock, so you need a reamer that's a few thousandth's oversize.

Randall