TR3A heater faucet

To: triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A heater faucet
From: "John A. Wise" <JohnWise@alumni.pitt.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 17:09:39 -0700
The thread about the heater finally fired off a neuron somewhere in
my brain to remind me to ask a question I have had since the fall
about the heater faucet. Last fall when I opened the valve so I could
have slightly warm air on my right shin, the valve leaked unless I
adjusted it slight less than full open.  It worked fine all winter in
the 90% open mode.  Fine meaning it not leak, not that it supported
the transfer of heat from the engine to the cockpit.

Anyway while I have the radiator out & the water drained, now might
be a good time see if I fix the leak.

My question is do I take the TR's faucet apart like a similar looking
sink faucet & replace the packing?  Or is there some other magic
involved??

Second, is it possible to replace the faucet valve with the remotely
adjustable TR4 valve?  At least in the catalog pictures they look the
same.  :-)  Here in Phoenix I would like to be able to open that
valve sometimes while driving in the summer to add a little more heat
sink...

John
John A. Wise, Ph.D., CPE

5483 W Potter Dr