TR3 Tranny Rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Tranny Rebuild
From: Doug Mathews <mathews@uga.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 21:32:23 -0400
Gang,

I'm still enrolled in our local technical college and this quarter I'm
doing manual transmissions & drive lines.  I just finished replacing the
clutch-pressure plate-throw out bearing-pinion bushing rear tranny seal in
my 91 Nissan 4cyl with 240,000 miles. 210,000 on the clutch and it really
looked like another 15k miles could be had, but I felt it was time.

Anyway, I'm now onto dismantling  the TR3 tranny with the #TS73311 which I
take it to be from a 1960 TR3.  Anyway, after dealing with the broken bolt
problem with the throw out lever, I attacked the removal of the speedo
gear.  I removed the bolt and connected a new cable to the speedo gear and
tried to leverage the gear out. The new female connectors are aluminium and
well, they do not take much abuse.  So I took a pair of vice grips and
grasp the unit and twisted back and forth wile pulling upwards an low and
behold it came out pretty smoothly.

Next I started removing the tail assembly and not having a removal tool,
proceeded to hammer moderately on the rear section and it began to
move...but only about 1/2 inch.  So I went and bought 2 3" bolts and
matching nuts and washer and proceeded to screw the bolts through the nut
and into the tranny housing so I could back off the nuts and put pressure
outward to separate the tail piece form the main housing. Doing this caused
the main shaft to move backwards and separate from the constant velocity
shaft and what I ended up doing was keeping the pressure on the tail piece
and using PB Blaster and let that sit for 15 or so minutes, then taking a
brass hammer and setting it on the output shaft and hitting it smartly with
an average weight hammer.  and it did separate.  The mains shaft has some
scoring that prevented it from "smoothing" exiting the
bearing.  I'll  replace the bearing and dress the main shaft.  Next week, I
hope to dissassembled the tranny and see what other parts I need.  It was
pointed out by my instructor that the front edge of the 1st gear teeth were
a little  worn and I let him know that I was not surprised, since 1st was
not synchromesh.

anyway, I'll keep yall posted.

Doug