Re: TR3 skidplate?

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 skidplate?
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 08:51:34 -0600
Paul Dorsey wrote:

>Why would I want a skidplate on my TR3? (I don't plan to use it off-road)
>
>On second thought- do they protect me from speedbumps?

I'd guess they were handy for the Tulip, Alpine, Shell 4000 (TR4's), and
comtemporary performance rallyes. And maybe for speedbumps too. Can't
see much use on highways. In a few photos of the works TR4's, I *think*
I can spot a factory style skid plate on there. I have some photos of
contemporary european TR4's which clearly show custom skid plates. I
think the TR3 in the South American Inca Trail Rally (2002?) had a
custom skid plate, not factory. For that kind of driving I'm sure they
were popular back in the day.

In the summer I drive my TR4 on unpaved mountain roads a fair bit and
the stock radiator guard doesn't protect against big rocks. Well, it did
but now one of the welded mounting tabs is broken. I bought an original
option skid plate from Moss a couple years ago but it wouldn't fit my
TR4 -- I've meant to have a custom plate made that would be lighter,
will provide more protection for the oil pan, and might as well have tow
hooks too.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4