RE: Wheel Wobble

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wheel Wobble
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 16:43:57 -0700
> I had thought the new rotors would solve the very slight wheel wobble on
> the right side. I had figured it was due to a warped rotor. Nope. The
> new rotor also rubs on the brake pads to the point of resistance on part
> of the wheel rotation. The bearings and races appear good.
>
> Any thoughts on possible causes?

Hubs can also warp, especially if the studs or bolts have been overtightened at
some time in the past.

Some things you can try :

1) Mark the high spot on the rotor (where it comes closest to the caliper), then
dismount the rotor and remount it turned 180 degrees on the hub.  That may
reduce or solve the problem.  If the high spot is still at the same place on the
rotor, then your new rotors are warped.  But if the spot moved 180 degrees, the
hub is warped.

2) If the hub is warped, you may be able to improve the situation sufficiently
by carefully filing down the rotor mounting points.  Mark the rotor at the point
where it is farthest away from the hub, then remove the rotor and file just a
bit from the two closest mounting points.  Remount and retest.  Repeat until you
either get it right, or get disgusted with the whole process and buy a new hub.

3) Another solution might be to find a shop that can turn the rotors with them
still mounted on the hubs.

HTH
Randall