Re: TR6 Brake Servo Unit Repair

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs List), Acey2525@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Brake Servo Unit Repair
From: spamiam@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 21:56:03 +0000
Yep, they can go bad seemingly pretty fast.  Last summer I had a new Lucas
sport coil go bad.  I was driving around and suddenly it had a terrible
misfire.  It seemed to be running only on 2 cylinders.  I managed to limp it
home for about 6 miles.  It died in the driveway.  I checked everything but
concluded that the coil must be bad.  It was pretty hot to the touch.  (No, it
was not the type requiring a ballast resistor, or at least not labelled as
such.)

When I re-installed the 1966 vintage coil, the engine started to run fine.

A fellow club member had a somewhat similar failure except that as soon as the
coil cooled somewhat it started to fire fine.  THat made it REALLY hard to
diagnose.  Again, it was SCORCHINGLY hot.

-Tony