TR drivetrain for sale with website \ Identification Help

To: Adeline Englund <adeline.englund.jd@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: TR drivetrain for sale with website \ Identification Help
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@mrl.ucsb.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 08:51:27 -0700
Hi, Folks,

I'm trying to correctly identify a TR motor and gearbox belonging to a woman who
removed it from an MG-TD that she is restoring to original. The drivetrain was
running when removed from the TD. (That must have been a pretty peppy TD!)

The drivetrain is for sale, asking $750, and it lies in Toluca Lace, in Southern
California.

Please contact Adeline Englund <adeline.englund.jd@worldnet.att.net>
818-985-6422 if interested.

Photos of the drivetrain are here:

http://www.mrl.ucsb.edu/barteet/TRmotor/

I thought it might be a TR3 motor because of the H6 carbs and early manifolds,
the TR3 style heater valve, and the starter looks different from my TR4's.

The valve cover does appear to be from a 4a, however, and I have no idea where
that fan on the water pump came from. Perhaps it's a TR3 top-end on a 4a bottom
end.

Addie tells me the ID numbers on the gearbox assembly (one side says Stanpart
No.3 and 305048: the other side says 304692SM).  The engine casting on the
driver's side bears two numbers, H216 and further down BIL 301435. There is
also an engraved number just below the spark plugs near the coil of CT74096E

I'd be interested to know if the gearbox is from a TR3, 4 or 4a.

Thanks for the help!

-jeffrey