RE: TR drivetrain for sale with website \ Identification Help

To: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@mrl.ucsb.edu>,
Subject: RE: TR drivetrain for sale with website \ Identification Help
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:01:06 -0700
> The drivetrain is for sale, asking $750, and it lies in Toluca
> Lace, in Southern California.

Pretty sure that's Toluca Lake, which is near Burbank.  And FWIW, that's a
lot of money for a 'mystery' motor & transmission, IMO.

> The valve cover does appear to be from a 4a, however, and I have
> no idea where
> that fan on the water pump came from.

Morgans used a fan on the WP, on a TRactor motor.  Or, it wouldn't be
terribly difficult to add, for someone capable of successfully transplanting
into a MG-TD.

> Perhaps it's a TR3 top-end  on a 4a bottom
> end.

Looks to me to be a conglomeration ... just the sort of thing when doing a
swap.  The road draft tube is blanked off, indicating a later engine, but as
you say the carbs are H6 indicating a later 3A or early 4.  Also the vacuum
advance has a compression fitting, indicating an early to mid TR3A/B.  The
4A rocker cover & missing thermostat housing probably indicate clearance
issues.

> Addie tells me the ID numbers on the gearbox assembly (one side
> says Stanpart
> No.3 and 305048: the other side says 304692SM).

There should be another number stamped into the boss where the clutch shaft
goes through.

>  There is
> also an engraved number just below the spark plugs near the coil
> of CT74096E

If it came from a Triumph, that would be a late TR4A, probably 1967.  I
don't know offhand, but I assume Morgan was still buying TRactor motors at
that point, perhaps others were too.

> I'd be interested to know if the gearbox is from a TR3, 4 or 4a.

It's a 4-synchro, so not from a TR3.  And I'm pretty sure it's not later
than 4A, I think the TR250/5 boxes had more stiffening ribs and a thicker
front flange.  But without the numbers or a look at the front housing, I
don't know if there's any way to tell a '4 box from a 4A.

Randall