TR6 electrical problems

To: <DANMAS@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 electrical problems
From: Tom Bottman <tbottman@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 19:09:13 -0600
Well, I thought I had the TR6 starter problems solved. After replacing the
ignition switch, the starter relay,, and , finally, the solenoid/starter
motor with a new TRF combination, it seemed like all was well. I finished
the installation of the new starter motor (getting that upper nut lined up
with the bolt is a bugger!), I started several times, with no indication of
the starter "running on". Great!, I thought. However, during this whole
process, I decided to replace the dash light rheostat and the headlight
switch. Well . . . I could not wait any longer for the back-ordered rheostat
and just made a direct connection with the wires, so the dash lights are on
high when the headlights are one. Should be OK, I think. Then, when
replacing the headlight switch, There was not much wire left on one of the
connections, so I spliced on about 6" of (unfortunately) I smaller gauge
wire. When I put the whole thing back together, and connected the battery a
whole mess of smoke came up from under the dash while I was frantically
pulling the ground connection off the battery. The end result was a
completely burned 6" wire.
So, either I made contact with the metal behind the dash with the new
connection (not  very well insulated), or the new, smaller wire, just could
not handle the load.
So, I replaced the wire with the proper gauge.
However, now the lights and everything else works. BUT . . . when I try to
start, all I have is the "CLICK".
I really don't want to take that new starter/solenoid out and check it out.
I have checked the current from the starter relay to the starter (with a
simple "light bulb test") and it seems like the relay is sending power to
the starter. And I have looked closely under the dash and everywhere else I
can see the wiring, looking for other burned out wires and can't see
anything.
HELP_
Thanks, Tom Bottman in SLC, hoping to travel to Glacier Park next week in
this vehicle.
\