Re: Electric fans & amperage

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric fans & amperage
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:08:15 -0700 (PDT)
The PermaCool fan from Jegs looks nice, but I'll put in my usual
pitch for the fans from Scotts Manufacturing in Valencia, CA -
they make some really skinny fans that really move air, and might
cost you less than this. Lots of options. Monster List has contact
info (no web site that I can find any more).

(Googling around for their now-dead site led me to

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/techarticles/29658/

which is a *great* article on fan installation - no brazing!)

> I don't want to use the probe provided with some kits.  I want to
> put a temp sensor either in the radiator or in a hose somewhere.

Moss Europe/TriumphTune used to sell a version of the steel
pipe that connects to the bottom of the radiator with a bung
for a temp sensor. You could probably get one welded to yours.
That would be a slick way to go, though I've always been happy
with a sensor in the fins.

I often cheat and grab power from the fused circuit that supplies
the horns; that's a typical 35A Lucas slow blow, and it's
easy to use a double-spade adapter. Run the extra wire along
the headlight circuit to the outlet side of the radiator. The
sensors are typically robust enough to handle the full current;
you can run the power to the fan and put the sensor in the ground
leg and be done with it.

Yeah, it's cheating a little, but it's effective and adequate...