RE: Electric fans & amperage

To: "Triumph Email List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electric fans & amperage
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 04:12:08 -0700
> Since I'm in the middle of a bout of Shipwrights, I am adding an electric
> fan to help keep my soon to be warmed over head cool.  However, when I was
> looking at some of the options at JEGS, I noticed that some of the 16" fans
> drew a fair amount of current.  I have changed my alternator over to a Bosch
> unit that puts out 55 amps or so, but is a fan that draws 13-17 amps an
> issue I should be worried about?

IMO with the Bosch you should have no trouble at all.  Use a relay, and source
power for the contacts from the alternator side of the ammeter, not the starter
solenoid or battery terminal as some instructions suggest, so your ammeter will
still "tell the truth".  I like to "go large" on wire sizes, to deliver as much
power as possible to the device (most automotive wiring charts are based on 0.5
volt drop which seems like too much to me), so I'd suggest at least 12 AWG wire
(and wired my TR3A fan with 10 AWG).

Randall