RE: Parts Cleaning Solvent suggestions

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Parts Cleaning Solvent suggestions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 10:44:05 -0700
> I am off to Harbor Freight to buy a parts washer and thought I would ask you
> guys what I could use as a parts washing solution that won't stink up the
> garage too bad.

FWIW, I bought an apparently identical unit years ago from Enco, that came with
5 gallons of petroleum-based solvent.  Worked good, but apparently dissolved the
innards of the pump over about 2 years.

> I have heard simple green works good but it is fairly
> corrosive I think> Is that true?

Short-term immersion should be no problem at all.  I use the stuff on lots of
things including skin and clothes (haven't tried it in the parts washer yet,
need to fix the pump first).  The place where you need to be careful is letting
it get into cracks in aluminum parts where it can remain trapped for a long
time.  It's very alkaline (base) and over time will etch aluminum.

Randall