RE: Engine / box /clutch Q

To: "John Gillis" <jgillis@tcd.ie>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine / box /clutch Q
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 02:12:52 -0700
> I am (and I can hardly believe it myself) just about ready to
> re-unite the engine and box with the rest of the car. With the front
> nose /bib off the car, does it make more sense to install the engine
> and box as one unit or is it still necessary to fit the box with the
> engine in-situ.

It's certainly possible and IMO it's much easier to install the engine and
gearbox as a unit.

> While I am here, any advise on fitting new trunnions
> to the clutch fork

They're cheap and easy ... if the old ones are visibly worn then I'd replace
them.

> also does the fork itself generally remain
> serviceable or should I take the opportuinity to replace it now.

The fork is rarely a problem, however there have been a lot of reports of
failure of the taper pin that locates the fork to the shaft.  I recommend
assembling the fork to the shaft with the shaft outside of the box and the taper
pin snug, then drilling 1/4" through both of them at roughly a right angle to
the taper pin (and centered on the shaft).  Then disassemble and install as
usual, plus put a 1/4" bolt & nyloc into the new hole.  Make sure the bolt
doesn't foul on the front cover, you may need to grind off the end of it.

Randall