Transmission synchro question

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Transmission synchro question
From: "Bob Rochlin" <r_rochlin@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 16:04:06 -0400
Hi Listers
        Last fall my transmission was grinding going into 4th gear, I
replaced the synchro ring and when I reinstalled it, it was grinding going
into 3rd gear.  When we went to replace the 3rd gear synchro ring it's
clearance spaced out as very good.  I, however, replaced it with a new
synchro ring which, when installed, had the clearance one would expect from
a new synchro ring.  All was well for the first couple of hundred miles, the
transmission shifted perfectly.  About  a week ago the grinding when
downshifting into third came back! I can't figure out why this should be
happening.   If I'm easy on the shift I can avoid the grinding, but if I
drive in a "spirited manor" I get the grind.
        I'm curious if anyone has had a similar experience?  Also, could
anything else could cause this condition beside the synchro ring?
        I hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend.
Bob Rochlin
"72 TR6