Re: Chirping TR3

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chirping TR3
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:21:50 -0700
Adrian Jaworski wrote:

>Seems I recall hearing that a chirping sound may a precede a water pump
>failure but I can't find anything in the archives.   Anybody heard that
>chirping sound before - any way to test the wp before replacing?

Could be... or could be the pulley scraping against the pump housing.

Easy to check... remove belt and run engine -- if sound goes away it is
either the water pump or the generator.  You can make a 'belt' from a
length of 1/8" nylon rope around the crank pulley and water pump pulley
to see whether it is the gen or pump.  The rope doesn't have to be
terribly tight and a knot won't matter though you may have to push it in
on one side with a stick to get enough tension to get it to spin the
pump... then you'll listen for the chirp to return.  Fresh in my mind
because I did all this recently to confirm my pump was bad.

Rebuild is certainly possible but parts may be a problem.  IMO easier to
add a dummy zerk to a good replacement pump.

Geo Hahn