Re: Fuel Gauge Linearity

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Gauge Linearity
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 19:23:23 -0400
> There was no adjustment on the sending unit's arm, but bending it would
> only skew one end (empty or full) not both. To me it seems like a longer
> arm would solve the problem, or a sending unit with a more non-linear
> control. Is there a test spec that measures ohms per angle rotation?
>
> So, have others who have replaced their sending unit experienced the same
> non-linearity? Was there a bad lot from Moss? How long is the arm on the
> original sending unit?
>
> Thanks!
> Johnnie
-----------------------------

Hi, Johnnie.  I don't see any replies from the lucid people on this list, so
I'll step in to represent the rest of us.

ISR that there was some method of adjusting the Moss sending unit, though I
haven't done my new one yet.  I'm not sure, though, that bending the arm
will only skew one end in favor of the other.  Actually, the way you
describe it, it seems your arm is maxed out at the "full" spectrum, and even
if you bent it a little might just be less maxed out to the full spectrum.
In other words, when the tank is full, the float may be at the top of the
tank, and still submerged, so reading full until the tank empties to the
level of the float.  I think the best thing to do in this instance, is to
research the exact capacity of your gas tank, then fill it exactly half
full.  Then, adjust the arm until the guage needle is exactly at the halfway
mark.  Fine tune from there.

In the end, when people tell you you're "full of it," you'll be able to
reply, "No, actually, just 92%."

Have fun!

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A  (Body still off, but the rest mostly done.)
New Hampshire