Re: Amusing tech article (non-LBC)

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Amusing tech article (non-LBC)
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 09:58:55 EDT
In a message dated 7/1/2005 6:37:24 PM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
> It's actually kind of interesting too, since it blames the Miata TW failure
> on having too-large clearances as installed by the factory.  Kinda makes me
> wonder if something similar (but not as blatant) didn't also happen with
> TR6.

FWIW, Len Renkenberger, a machinist and long time TR6 guy based in Rhode
Island) says the .005 - .007 clearance on the TR6 thrust washer is overly
generous
and clearances as small as .002 will do quite nicely and will wear at a
slower pace.

Personal experience (ie: anecdotal):  When I re-bearing'd my 6 pot engine I
got a set of STD and +.005 thrust washers and mixed one of each which resulted
in a clearance of just over .002 with no issures what-so-ever.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8