RE: Timing Reground Cam

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Timing Reground Cam
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 12:11:35 -0700
> Hi, I've been reading the instructions on installing a
> reground street cam in my TR4. It seems to be a pretty
> straight forward process with one exception. How do I
> find TDC with only the crank installed? Without the
> timing cover and pulley there is no reference. Maybe
> measure distance from liner wall to journal and get an
> equal distance on both sides? As always the wisdom of
> this list is appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Mike, IMO you should go ahead and install something you can reference from,
either the flywheel or the front pulley.  And install at least #1 rod & piston
(no reason not to do them all).  Then make up a piston stop, and a pointer to
your flywheel or pulley (bent coat hanger).  Turn the crank each direction until
the piston hits the stop (gently), make a mark under the pointer.  Remove the
stop, now TDC is when the pointer is halfway between the marks.

It's tough to measure accurately right at TDC, since the crank journal and
piston are not moving, hence the stop slightly into the stroke on each side.

Randall