RE: TR6 Horn Relay

To: <ASesso@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Horn Relay
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 08:47:51 -0700
> I am restoring a 1971 TR6. I have installed a new wiring harness and have a
> question about the horn relay connections. The car has a round red
> Lucas relay
>  with 5 spade connectors. 4 around the edges and one in the center. The
> wiring  diagrams I have all show this relay with 4 spade connectors. From my
> understanding 4 wires ( 2 purple 1 purple/yellow 1 purple/black) run to this
> relay. The spades are numbered.

How are they numbered ?

> What is the fifth spade connector for

Probably for different applications.  My Lucas book seems to indicate the
original horn relay would be a 6RA in a rectangular metal can.  You may be
looking at the hazard relay, which does have 5 terminals.

> and how  are
> the 4 wires attached?

Use your ohmmeter to find which pair of terminals have a low, but not zero,
resistance between them.  Something like 30 ohms, perhaps.  That pair is W1 & W2
(doesn't matter which is which).  Check for continuity between the other
terminals.  Now apply 12v between W1 and W2, and retest for continuity between
the other terminals.  The pair that now has continuity (or any pair if they all
do) (and didn't before) are C1 and C2 (again doesn't matter which is which).

W1      Purple
W2      Purple/Black
C1      Purple/Yellow
C2      Purple