Distributor/4th parade results

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Distributor/4th parade results
From: "fred thomas" <frede.thomas2@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 11:21:29 -0400
Well a few weeks back I made a comment about the incorrect distributor being
used in our T/R 2/4 and the available parts from the suppliers being
incorrect, last week I solved my problem, herewith are the results, I have
87.2 MM pistons, slightly milled/altered head giving about 9.5 compression
ratio, stock cam and ignitor ignition, Ken Gilanders 6 blade impellar water
pump, I installed new Bosch plugs, adjusted the valves (1st time in 5 years),
set the timing to 8 degrees BTDC, the dist. is a D25 # 40795, lower control
plate is a 54412154 or 10 degrees which gives 20 degrees max. advance, the
vacuum advance unit is 54413565 (2-6-3), springs # 54411614 and weights
54413073, my car has never been peppier, not fast do to stock cam, but very
quick and responsive, I have a skirted Smith's 156 thermostat, yesterday in
our local July 4th parade the temp gauge moved just above the first mark (125)
but well below the 185 for about 1 hour of idlying along the route, am I
pleased, you bet I am, I also averaged  28.4 MPG for a nice little lunch trip
(170 miles R/T). Folks if you are driving a T/R 2 to 4A and looking for a big
overall improvement in your little 4 cyclinder then check the distributor part
number as well as the vac. advance number, the results will really surprise ya
running the correct distributor for your engine configuration/needs. The
distributor being sold for our cars is for a MG and everyone knows how damn
slow they are compared to a "Triumph" :) :) :) "FT"