RE: Differentiation of different choices for differential

To: <Dave1massey@cs.com>
Subject: RE: Differentiation of different choices for differential
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:31:18 -0400
Hi Dave:

I thought about that. It would end up costing about the same,  but would take
me way off the Triumph standard. Yeah yeah, I know, and believe me I'm not a
concours guy. I just don't want to have to remember a whole pile of weird
things if a re-build comes up. The shortened drive shaft is dead custom and if
Richard gets out of the business, there goes that option. I know it will
probably last 500 years, but I really only like upgrades that are easily
switchable back to original in the weird event that the car becomes more
valuable as a collector in the future. Example my electronic ignition from
Crane Cams. Amazing upgrade, but easily reversed.

For the same reason I'm rebuilding my overdrive transmission rather than
switching to the Van Ackker (sp?) 5-spead toyota conversion, although it is
awfully tempting.

I am going to go with Richard's adjustable trailing arm brackets and the
triple stromberg upgrade. A very nice bit of work from the look of it and
easily maintained and/or reversed.

So, depsite a rather nice offer on a used diff, I've told the mechanic to go
ahead with the complete diff. I'll be dining on toast and re-fried beans for a
month, but it's a job I never want to revisit. I'm my sort of gloomy rebuild
history with my TR6 I come to accept the reality that shortcuts seem to end up
costing me more than the long way around.

Cheers,

Mark