RE: Polarity and starter

To: <SDOliner@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Polarity and starter
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 05:45:09 -0700
> I am in the middle of converting my TR4A from positive to nagative ground.  I
> know all TR4A are supposed to be negative ground but for whatever reason mine
>  isn't.
<snip>
> Seems like the starter is hanging up on ring gear.
> Is the starter spinning the wrong way?

As others have said, the stock starter uses a wound field and so does not "care"
about polarity.  It will turn the correct direction regardless.

Sounds to me like you've got a bad connection to the starter somewhere, or
possibly a coincidental internal failure.  My first test would be to feel all
the starter cables (and the choke cable) right after trying to crank the engine,
any hot spot indicates the problem.  If that doesn't show anything, I'd suggest
hooking a test lamp across the starter and watching it while you try to crank
the engine (using a temporary jumper from the solenoid side terimal to the hot
post if necessary).  If the lamp lights, the problem is inside the starter.  If
it doesn't, move it closer to the battery in steps, until you find the problem.

The "clunk" you hear only sometimes is the starter pinion engaging the flywheel.
It sometimes won't retract until the engine turns, or you R&R the starter.
Whatever your bad connection is, it will apparently pass enough current to move
the pinion (which is a fair amount), but not enough to crank the engine (which
is a whole lot).

Have you checked that the engine ground strap is in place and in good condition
?

HTH
Randall