Re: Polarity and starter

To: SDOliner@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Polarity and starter
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 07:57:07 EDT
In a message dated 7/6/2005 8:55:44 PM Central Standard Time,
SDOliner@aol.com writes:
> Here is the deal
> The starter, which worked fine before just won't turn over the engine.  The
> had a spin on the first crank and then a clunk. Now all I get is a clunk. I
>
> backed off the starter bolts, pulled it back, re tighten, got one spin  and
> then
> a clunk. This is a standard issue Lucas starter.
> I charged the battery over night, but all it was drawing was 2 amps.
> There hasn't been any smoke or sparks, other that when I jumped the
> generator.
> Seems like the starter is hanging up on ring gear.
> Is the starter spinning the wrong way?
>
> I am going to try replacing the negative cable from the battery to ground,
> just to make sure I am getting enough juice.

Stock starters are not polarity sensitive so if you are running a stock
starter I think the problem is coincidental with the polarity change.  If you
have
a gear reduction starter and it is polarity sensitive (may be, I don't know)
then I would be surprised if it worked with Positive ground.

One quick check is to turn the lights on and see if they dim when you hit the
starter.  If the lights go out look at the battery cables.  If they don't dim
at all, then look at the starter and starter specific cables.

Dave