Re: Run on and timing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Run on and timing
From: Btmfdchn@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 01:22:35 EDT
In a message dated 7/7/2005 7:34:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,  rbtr3a@cox.net
writes:

just  reset the timing on my 2lt sports six engine to 13degrees btdc. I set
the  vernier adjustment to the middle. I set the point gap to .015.   I
noticed that the timing would fluctuate slightly.  Even before I  reset all
this I would have run on after I switched the ignition off,  however I
continue to have this problem.

Is the timing too  advanced?

Hopefully you did what you have listed in the reverse order-set the points,
center the vernier, then set timing.  Those first two items will have an
effect on timing so you want to do those before setting timing.  Next,
remember ,
after you switch off the ignition, timing no longer matters as you  got no
electricity flowing there.  As Randall asked-how fast is you  idle?  I've seen
timing off enough that the "tuner" cranks in more throttle  opening just to get
an idle.  I would make sure the timing is done  correctly then set the idle
speed to spec and see what happens,    TJ