RE: Pack new wheel bearings?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Pack new wheel bearings?
From: "Chas. Schlismann" <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 16:08:19 -0700 (PDT)
> A mechanic friend advised me that I was quite insane for packing new
> wheel bearings. He contends that they're ready to go and don't need
> additional grease until the suggested clean/repack time. I countered
> that as he is a machine mechanic, he is probably accustomed to sealed
> bearings. Who's insane here?

Many modern cars do come with "unitized" bearings that are pre-lubed. However,
Triumphs do not. So I'd say neither of you is insane, but your mechanic friend
doesn't know much about Triumphs.

Randall

Thanks to all,

We yanked a hub and he agrees the bearings needed to packed.  But he said my
hub had too much grease. My calipers and hub exterior are clean,  the workshop
manual says partially fill the hub with grease...  How much is partially full?
Any guideline to follow?  May as well be sure as the hub is off now.
TIA, Charlie    Homewood, Il
74 TR6
71 GT6