RE: Pack new wheel bearings?

To: "Chas. Schlismann" <racegt6@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pack new wheel bearings?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 16:51:43 -0700
> We yanked a hub and he agrees the bearings needed to packed.  But he
> said my hub had too much grease. My calipers and hub exterior are
> clean,  the workshop manual says partially fill the hub with
> grease...

I believe the idea was for the excess grease to form a "dam", to help hold
liquefied grease in the bearing when it gets hot.  However, I also believe it's
not necessary with modern greases, they don't liquefy the way the old ones did.

>  How much is partially full? Any guideline to follow?  May
> as well be sure as the hub is off now.

You didn't have "too much" before, since it wasn't being thrown out.  More than
enough, perhaps, but not too much.  If you don't leave at least some air space,
the grease will get squeezed out through the seals.  And it's advisable to
remove all the old grease when repacking, even from the hub.

Personally, I just pack the bearing full and leave it at that.  A thin film
inside the hub and on the spindle, to prevent corrosion, is all I use.  But be
sure to work grease into all the little spaces between the rollers on the
bearing, and smear a thick layer on the outside, before assembling.

Randall