Re: Dust boots and caliper pistons

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dust boots and caliper pistons
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 09:38:45 -0700
Don Malling wrote:

> ... But putting the dust boot on first and then putting the caliper in
> seems close to impossible too.

If it is similar to a TR4 then that is how it goes.  I use mild air
pressure into the caliper (with the opposite piston inserted w/o seal)
to inflate the boot and make it want to slip over the piston.  Easiest
when my wife runs the air hose while I encourage the boot.  Helps to
lube it all with brake lube or fluid.  Also helps to make a little tool
-- I made a hook out of 12 ga copper wire with the end rounded so there
was no chance of damaging caliper, piston or boot.

First one took a couple of minutes... 4th one took about 3 seconds.

Geo H