The Great Race 2005 ( a bit long)

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: The Great Race 2005 ( a bit long)
From: Harlyred1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:56:50 EDT
To the list,

I am 3 days off the finish line of The Great Race 2005. A friend and I  ran
it in a 1929 Ford Speedster. While our times were nothing to boast about, it
was a first for us, and the experience of a lifetime. A few mechanical
problems,  (3 starters, 3 windshields, 2 fuel pressure regulators)  2
thunderstorms in
 an open car, and a few bad calls by the navigator (me) cost us a very good
finish.
I want to publicly thank Randall for putting me in touch with Steve and
Janet from British Parts Pacific.  (_www.landroverparts.us_
(http://www.landroverparts.us) ) They won the race  in rookie class their first
year in a TR3. This
year they ran a Land Rover. They  were MORE  than generous and patient with
their time in giving me tips  and pointers as a rookie and any screw ups were
mine and mine alone. If I owned  a Land Rover, I would patronize them
exclusivly
based on their good will alone.
If anyone on the list ever has a chance to run the race I would highly
recommend it. The folks in the race, and along the highways, in the small towns
 of
America are the best!! In some out of the way places we wer told we were the
biggest thing to hit town in 20 years. Twin Falls Idaho pulled no punches and
 gave us a heroes welcome. The "Mountain Oysters" in Ogallia Nebraska made my
 driver a bit blue around the edges, but gave us something to talk about. The
 fireworks in Westminister Colorado on the 4th of July were spectacular. We
had a  BBQ at out trailer/garage and sang "God Bless America" with cajons from
Loiusianna, and 20 other racers. Very emotional for me as my brother came
home  from Iraq on R&R the day after the race started. I managed to fly home to

have diner with him Sunday before he returns today.
We were part of the "Hemmings Rookie Challenge." Normally the Speed  Channel
does a 1 hour show on the Great Race, this year however they selected  five
rookie teams and outfitted them and their cars with cameras. The show will  be
broadcast on August 29th at 9 PM. ( plenty of bleeps I am sure and I may also
get plastic surgery to diguise myself ) We have been told that the production
company wants to make it either two 1 hour shows, or a reality type show.
I'd be happy if they left it at 1 hour based on our performance.
I'd be happy to answer any questions on or off the list, it is really a  of
highlite of my life thus far, and I will be back next year, maybe in my  TR3

Terry

ps. A few times along the way while being interviewed for TV I  compared our
race (Team 92)
with the '69 Mets, and Tug McGraws slogan ( Ya Gotta Believe). I  added in
snippets of his sons country hit "Live LIke you wre Dyin" Well. I  climbed the
Rockies ( in a 75 year old car) I am seriously thinking of going  skydiving, I
will NOT do 2.7 seconds on a bull named "Fu Manchu, BUT, I will  love my
wonderful wife who supported me all the way and met me at the finish  line
sweeter
and deeper and more than ever before. Thank You Dawn, I love you
I'm sorry to say we finished as the '86 Red Sox!!!