Re: Water pump break-in needed?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Water pump break-in needed?
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 16:41:55 EDT
Hi Jeff,

You really need to ask the person providing the water pump or rebuild
service. They should know and ideally should provide written information with
the
pump since this is a change from the original service procedure. I think most
today are being rebuilt (or "built" if new) with modern seals that don't
require
any "dry" break-in period.

I doubt it, but, who knows. Someone *might* be installing the original type
of seal (some sort of ceramic, if I recall correctly). When new, the service
procedure was that these seals should be run dry for 30 seconds to a minute
approx., before coolant levels are brought back up to "full". This "dry" run
allows the new seal to seat itself. It will never fully form a seal if run
"wet"
right from the start, because the coolant lubricates the seal and keeps it from
seating. Doing this with the old style of seal might cause it to weep a little
coolant right from the beginning.

Hopefully your pump rebuilder or provider will know. If not, they really
should find out for you and their future customers. I do know the new, high
performance pumps (6 vane) that Ken Gillanders at British Frame & Engine sells
use
modern seals and don't require a dry break-in.

If unknown and no way to find out short of disassembling the pump, I agree
with you and my guess would be that any pump new or rebuilt within the past 10
years would most likely *not* need the dry break-in period.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L
I seem to recall hearing at some point in the past that the water pumps for
TR4-6 may have needed a break-in period for the bearings, with the break-in
period consisting of running the pump with no water in it (obviously not for
a long period).  Anyone care to comment on whether or not this is needed?  I
say no, that maybe this had to do with older bearings or something, but not
anymore.  Opinions/comments?