Fuel tank vent pipe bolt removal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel tank vent pipe bolt removal
From: KPe9368405@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:37:37 EDT
This issue is with a TR4, but I suspect the application is the same on  other
TRs.
I'm trying to remove the gas tank. Everything went swimmingly until I tried
to remove the vent pipe. Can't get the bolt to budge. Appears to be  11/16".
So, my questions are:
1) do you need to actually remove the bolt? It appears that the assembly is
just "pushed" into the tank and then has washers between the tank and the vent
 pipe assembly. If that's the case, maybe the vent assembly just pries out of
the  tank(?).
2) As I apply torque to the bolt, the whole assembly turns in the gas tank
hole. This causes two problems- I can't apply enough torque because of this
movement and the movement tends to bend the vent pipe.

Sooo, help!!
I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Ken