RE: TR3 Starter Solenoid

To: <bbrewer@qnet.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Starter Solenoid
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:01:28 -0700
>      So, is the solenoid my problem? Seems to be, but it occured to me that
> maybe it could be the button and I am bypassing it when I go directly to the
> solenoid.

Could be either, based on your description.  Could also be a wiring problem, or
a bad connection between the wires & the switches, or a bad ground at the
solenoid.

>      When you push the button on the solenoid, are you manually bypassing the
> solenoid or are you manually bypassing the starter switch?

You're bypassing an entire circuit, consisting of the wire from the ign switch
to the pushbutton, the pushbutton, the wire from the pushbutton to the solenoid,
the coil inside the solenoid, and the ground for the solenoid through it's
mount.  I'd say the solenoid ground is the most likely problem, but it could be
anywhere in the circuit.

>      Are starter solenoids serviceable?

Not normally, no.  At least not beyond replacing the rubber cover.

Randall