False alarm

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu, triumphs@sltoa.org
Subject: False alarm
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:06:42 EDT
Wednesday morning when I backed the car out of the garage I noticed a puddle
of oil on the floor under the rear axle.  Oh, great!  Why do these things
happen the week before VTR?  I decided to drive to work anyway and that evening
noticed another puddle in the same local.  Maybe it's just gas.  Nope.
Definitely oil.

So I dashed home with thoughts of contingency plans for VTR like driving the
TR6 and put the car up on stands and crawled underneath with a drop light to
inspect the damage.  But the rear axle was dry.  No evidence of leaks.  Well,
what else could it be.  There's no oil in the gas tank and the substance
certainly wasn't brake fluid.  There's no other possible source of oil in that
part
of the car.

Except the boot.  Oh, bloody hell!

So I yank everything out of the boot and find the cap on my bottle of power
steering fluid doesn't seal off all that well.  Greatly relieved and somewhat
annoyed I set about cleaning up the mess in the spare tire well.

VTR plans still on.

See you there, I hope.

Dave