Way OT: 5000 km road trip question #1

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Way OT: 5000 km road trip question #1
From: jim.wallace@netscape.ca
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 08:54:05 -0700
Sorry not Triumph related at all, hope you won't mind.

I have been nominated navigator on a convoy of four buses laden with
donated medical and school supplies, driving from Toronto to various points
in Central America. (The buses will stay there; they are being donated
too.) We will drive through the USA, then Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador,
and Nicaragua.

I am madly mapping out a route similar to one that has been done in
previous years and could really use some help from people who might live
near where we are travelling, to find out if there are good little
shortcuts, or especially if there is construction that we should avoid
along the proposed route.

So if I could beg your indulgence over the next days I'd like to ask a few
directions through the US, as I have not made such a trip before - and I
don't even live in that country.

So first question, we need to get from Detroit to Fort Wayne Indiana.
Previously they went I-94 west and I-69 south. I see three alternatives
that look shorter:
a) taking hwy. 12 from Ann Arbor to Coldwater
b) taking hwy. 60 from Jackson over to I-69, or
c) going south on 23 through Toledo and then southwest on 24 to Fort Wayne.

Recommendations? Note time is an issue but we will also need a break from
pure interstate driving so if there is a route that is equal in time, we
would likely take the more interesting one.
Muchas gracias.
Jim

PS The charity is called the Caravana de la Esperanza (Caravan of Hope).