Re: TR6 Decision

To: "Steinman, Bill" <wsteinman@pogolaw.com>,
Subject: Re: TR6 Decision
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:55:59 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steinman, Bill" <wsteinman@pogolaw.com>
To: "list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 3:59 PM
Subject: TR6 Decision

> Greetings all:
>
> I think this is the weekend I make the TR6 plunge.  I've thought about a
> TR250 or a TR4, but in the end, the budget just won't allow it right now
> -- Ex-wife took all the cash.  :o)
>
> Anyhow, here's the question.  I'm down to a '69, a '71, a '74 and a '76,
> all in my area.   I'd love the practical advice from TR6 owners
> about the pro's and con's of the model years I'm looking at!
>
> Thanks everyone!

Bill-
     I'll chime in here. The TR6 run from 69 to 76 underwent subtle changes
and mechanically they are very similar from year to year. The early 6's
(Vin# starts with CC) are a bit more desirable on the market. They have
black instrument bezels (vs. chrome for the later models); ventilation flap
at the cowl (vs. black plastic grill); a bit more horsepower; and chrome
bumpers without the later mandated 5 MPH  overriders. The later models are
Vin# CF. The switch was in 1973. Check the Vin# on any car you are
considering as there are many out there that are a culmination of various
cars and may not be "correct".  Overdrive transmission is a big +.
    The VTR sight has a buyers guide that is worth taking a look at. The
rust problem areas are at the frame where the rear trailing arm connects to
the frame (just below the B-pillar; the battery box and at the low point of
the frame in the back, almost in line with the rear axles. It doesn't hurt
to take an impartial friend along to scrutinize the car you are considering.
It may be in your benefit to hire a local mechanic to inspect the vehicle as
well.
    Like any old car, buy the best one that you can afford, don't let the
year of the car persuade you one way or the other. Buy the best car you can
afford. Parts are abundant for all years, they are all easy to work on. Buy
the best car you can afford.... This list can bail you out of most problems
that you will encounter.
Good luck,
Tim Hutchisen
71 TR6 CC57787L