Rear Hub Problems

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Hub Problems
From: Dale VanCleef <dalevancleef@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:38:29 -0500
Hello,  I have a 73 TR6. I posted regarding this earlier and got some
good answers.
One day at work, I heard a clanking noise from the left rear. I put my
foot on the left rear tire/tyre and was able to move the wheel in and
out.  After bravely (foolishly) driving it home, I have been trying to
diagnose the problem.
I still cannot figure out what is wrong.
 From page 142 of my Haynes manual, here's what I'm seeing.
1) I can move the hub in and out about 1/8 of an inch... maybe more.
2) The stub shaft and outer axle shaft move with the hub.
3) The bearing housing is rock solid... no movement whatsoever.

So the studs that hold the bearing housing to the suspension arm are are
fine.

The right side does not show these symptoms.
This is my first LBC.
I am seeing something normal?
Is it safe to drive?
What is supposed to be stopping this movement?  (Haynes pictures are
almost no help here.)
Any help would be deeply appreciated.  Summer is slipping away in NW
Indiana.
TIA,
Dale