RE: Rear Hub Problems

To: dalevancleef@verizon.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Rear Hub Problems
From: Chad Jester <triumph74tr6@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:15:51 -0700 (PDT)
Dale-

Don't drive anymore until you fix it.  The rear hub
bearings are shot.  Buy a rebuilt unit from TRF or
other reputable supplier.  Rebuilding these hubs is
not for the novice to tackle at home.

Chad

From: Dale VanCleef <dalevancleef@verizon.net>
Subject: Rear Hub Problems

Hello,  I have a 73 TR6. I posted regarding this
earlier and got some
good answers.
One day at work, I heard a clanking noise from the
left rear. I put my
foot on the left rear tire/tyre and was able to move
the wheel in and
out.  After bravely (foolishly) driving it home, I
have been trying to
diagnose the problem.
I still cannot figure out what is wrong.
 From page 142 of my Haynes manual, here's what I'm
seeing.
1) I can move the hub in and out about 1/8 of an
inch... maybe more.
2) The stub shaft and outer axle shaft move with the
hub.
3) The bearing housing is rock solid... no movement
whatsoever.

So the studs that hold the bearing housing to the
suspension arm are
are
fine.

The right side does not show these symptoms.
This is my first LBC.
I am seeing something normal?
Is it safe to drive?
What is supposed to be stopping this movement?
(Haynes pictures are
almost no help here.)
Any help would be deeply appreciated.  Summer is
slipping away in NW
Indiana.
TIA,
Dale