Re: Right front Fender needed

To: TRsick@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Right front Fender needed
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 16:21:26 -0400
In a message dated 8/2/2005 2:39:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time, TRsick@aol.com
writes:

>Hi All:
>    I'm looking for a reasonable priced used right  front fender for my 76
>TR6. Realizing shipping is a hassle & costly.... The reason I need one, it was
>hit when parked &  they crushed the fender.
>New ones are priced crazy!

======
I appreciate your situation, assuming that no one's insurance is going to cover
repairs. And I appreciate that TRF wants $450 and Moss $500 for new front
fenders. But you might want to consider the overall condition of your car; does
it deserve as good or better a replacement fender as what's on the other three
corners now? And, whether you do the work or someone else does, you need to
consider the total time and cost to acheive the same overall effect, i.e., a
nice-looking TR6.

I've heard a basic rule-of-thumb that anything more than about one hour spent
repairing a panel (not counting prep and paint) usually isn't as cost-effective
as replacing it with a new one.

If this were a sidescreen TR, I could sympathize with your approach, seeing as
"new" front fenders are close to $900 each and often don't fit without
additional work. But TR6 fenders are still made on essentially the original
tools and should bolt up pretty easily. Any bodywork professionals on the list
care to comment?

--Andy Mace