Re: VTR 2005 Event Results / Awards

To: TR250Driver@aol.com, pethier@isd.net
Subject: Re: VTR 2005 Event Results / Awards
From: emanteno@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 04:03:25 +0000
-------------- Original message from Darrell Floyd--------------

> Phil,
> Absolutely not wanting to start any controversy, whining thread or anything
>like that. I am fine with the way things were. But I need to say that VTR
>needs to make up it's mind what RULES govern stock Vs modified in autocross.
>This year it seemed to be up to the owners to declare and no questions were
>asked. I know last year when John Lye was in control questions were asked and
>the VTR Rules were enforced. Nuff said, I am done. We are all friends here so
>we take what we get.

I wanted to wait until after I heard back from John Lye before I answered this.
I was in Richmond last year without my car, and as John and I are friends, I
offered to assist in the autocross tech inspections. John confirmed what I had
remembered, that our role is primarily to provide a safety inspection. We are
not the SCCA, we don't have the resources of the SCCA, we don't have the
rulebook of the SCCA, and quite frankly, we don't want to be the SCCA. Along
with several other people, I was involved in over half of the tech inspections
last year. This year, my club hosted VTR, and I was again a member of the group
of people who performed tech inspections, and we used the exact same procedure
as last year. The same RULES were used both years. It is the responsibility of
the DRIVER to fill out the tech form HONESTLY as to whether his/her car is
modified or not. It is our job as tech inspectors to make a safety inspection.
Yes, certain things are obvious, and that makes it easy to confirm a car
belongs in modifed class as opposed to stock, but if someone is intent on
cheating in order to win an autocross award, then he/she is more of a loser
than those he beats. Our group inspected close to 100 cars. The only time I
observed you in the vicinity of the inspection line is when your 2 cars were
inspected, so your comment that "no questions were asked" is totally
unjustifiable and inaccurate. YOU weren't asked questions, but many of the
other 98 drivers were, as necessary. There were many cars which had obvious
components that placed their cars into a modified class, and several of their
owners were surprised that they were classified as modified. On the other hand,
if you as a competitor felt that a car was mis-classified, the time to mention
it was 2 weeks ago during the Convention, not now. By mentioniing it now, I
strongly disagree with your statement that your comments were  "Absolutely not
wanting to start any controversy, whining thread or anything like that". As far
as I am concerned, that is exactly w!
 hat you

are doing.
Irv Korey