RE: Electrical questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electrical questions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:28:10 -0700
> Ok so I have a '66 Herald that I converted from
> positive ground to negative ground.  Now that that is
> clear, is there anything that I need to do to my
> temperature gauge?

Nope, changing the battery polarity shouldn't affect the gauge at all.

> Also,
> how can I check it to make sure the gauge is still
> good?

I would suggest removing it from the dash (if necessary), then reconnecting and
measuring the voltage right at the gauge, from each pin to ground.  With the
ignition on, you should find close to 12v on one pin, and a much lower (but not
zero) voltage on the other pin.  I'm not sure offhand if a Herald would have a
voltage stabilizer or not ... if so, you may see both voltages "flash" on and
off.  If both voltages are as expected (or one is 12v and the other is zero) and
the gauge does not indicate, then the gauge itself is bad.  And if the voltages
are not as expected, you'll know much more about where to look for the problem.

> Recently the generator light came on.  Can you give me
> some advise as to how to check the generator to see if
> it is working or not?

It's almost certain that, if the light is on, the generator is not working.  The
light in effect compares the generator output voltage to the battery voltage,
and hence only comes on when they are different.

Somewhere I've done a write-up on troubleshooting "red light" problems, but I
can't seem to locate it at the moment and I'm too lazy to type it all back in
right now.  I'll try to post it in the next few days.  In the meantime, you
might try searching the list archives.

>  And finally, does anyone have a
> recomendation for getting the generator rebuilt?

Almost any "auto electric" shop should be able to handle it.  Ask at your local
independent or NAPA parts house (NOT one of the cheapo chains like Pep Boys or
Kragen) ... they'll either be able to send it out for you, or direct you to a
rebuilder.

> So someplace local would be
> nice, but I could ship it.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Herald used the
same C40 generator as the TR2-4.  If so, rebuilt units are available on an
exchange basis from Moss and Roadster Factory.

BUT, you should first determine that it's not wiring, or the voltage regulator
that is at fault.  Even worse, a regulator failure can CAUSE a generator
failure.  If you absolutely insist on not troubleshooting the problem first,
then replace them as a pair.

Randall