Re: Triumphest 2005 (Insurance)

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Triumphest 2005 (Insurance)
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:12:24 -0600
Robert wrote:

>A drop in the bucket for a corporate entity in today's litigious  society.
>Nothing I did was my fault, and even if it was I would want to  sue you
>anyway.  Much better odds in court than with the lotto.
>
>This is why I just upped my auto/home liability coverage to $2 million...at
>a cost of under $400 a year.

This issue was discussed just this weekend on the Mercedes list. The
context was the cost of insurance for folks with sig file including a
lot of cars -- applies for most of us here too. ;) One fellow used to
carry a relatively high liability coverage through his auto insurance of
$500k. He found that by reducing the amount of liability coverage to the
minimum required by the state (or the underlying limits mentioned next),
he could purchase a $3 million umbrella liability policy -- which would
also cover people tripping on a dandelion in his yard -- for roughly the
same amount of money. Umbrella issuing companies will require the policy
holder to carry underlying liability limits of say $100,000 to $300,000
or a single limit of $100,000 to $300,000.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2