TR4 top update

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 top update
From: "Dean Mericas" <dmericas@limno.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 22:20:33 -0400
I thought it would be good to report back on the issues I had with a TR4
convertible top with zippered back window that I purchased recently.

As you may recall, I was concerned that the design didn't include the hooks
that attach to either top corner of the windshield frame, or the tensioning
strap that goes along the top of the side window opening.  In spite of these
concerns, and with a $50 discount offered by the vendor for my grief, I
decided to keep and install the top.

This past weekend I drove in the America's British Reliability Run, a great
event that Blake Discher has been organizing for three years now. Driving
rain on Sunday gave me the opportunity to try the top out under miserable
conditions. Much as I feared, the fit around the side windows was very
loose, and the side sealing along the back edges of the windows actually
routed water down on the shoulders of the driver and passenger.  OTOH, the
zippered rear window made a big difference in keeping the car from getting
too stuffy after the rain stopped.

So, bottom line is that the top fits well except for the significant
deficiency in the side window surround design, and the zippered rear window
is a benefit.  I rarely drive in the rain, so I can live with it, even
though the side window openings are a little "goofy" looking to my eye.

For reference, this top is manufactured by Don's Trim in the UK.  I bought
it through The Little British Car Company.

Dean Mericas
1965 TR4
1974 2000 GTV

===     http://www.vtr.org