Gearbox Grief Summary

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Gearbox Grief Summary
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@mrl.ucsb.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:42:48 -0700
Hi, Folks,

I've been meaning to write a summary for a few days now as I had many, many
humor, technical advice, and offers of help, parts, and purchase of my TR
and\or gearbox.

To summarize:

1. Yes, my local 'gearbox guru' is\was Herman van den Akker, and he told me he
was more busy than he wanted to be fixing gearboxes and such and is now
focusing on his toyota gearbox conversion. ($1485 sans Toyota celica or pickup
truck gearbox) I have a pdf file about the conversion of you're interested.

2. The following gentlemen also do gearbox\overdrive repair:

In Oregon: Ray Marty  raymarty@teleport.com
In Western Pennsylvania: Ed Woods fogbro1@comcast.net
In Illinois Uncle Jack may be able to help you out.
In Connecticut, John Esposito at www.quantumechanics.com
(As an aside, several people seem to have had good experiences with Quantum
Mechanics)

3. I was told, "You can probably do it yourself" and "I'd never do that myself"

4. If I think TR gearboxes are expensive, then stay the hell away from Porsches.

5. If I'm actually dumb enough to part with my OD gearbox, there are many of you
who would be happy to take it off my hands in whatever condition it's in.

6. Steven Newell can't get enough Triumph TR4s.

I've fiddled with this OD gearbox in the past, and while I could probably fix
it...eventually....I'm leaning toward having John have a crack at it at Quantum
Mechanics.

I will let you all know how that goes.

Thanks again, ListFolk, you're a fine bunch!

-jeffrey

===     http://www.vtr.org