Re: TR3A Headlights

To: ZoboHerald@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Headlights
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:52:44 EST
In a message dated 12/19/2005 8:39:31 PM Central Standard Time,
ZoboHerald@aol.com writes:
> Biggest problem I ever had with either lamp was that, here in the sometimes
>
> damp and often salty (in wintertime) Northeast, the reflectors were very
> prone
> to rusting away. It was one thing to get a State motor vehicle inspection
> station to ignore the fact that the lamps weren't sealed-beam and didn't
> have
> the little nibs on the lens to hold those crappy headlamp alignment
> fixtures.
> It  was quite another to explain why there were rust spots and even holes in
>
> the  inside bottom of your headlamps. :-(

An oft overlooked aspect of lighting is the fact that the reflector is an
integral part of the light projector system that focuses the light produced but
the filament onto the road ahead of the vehicle.  Once this reflector looses
its lustre or gets discoloured the light projection pattern becomes more random
and the headlamp becomes merely a bright marker light and no good at lighting
the roadway ahead of you.

I once bought a set of cheap, Chinese made halogen lamps (Hella knock-off's).
 I was unimpressed with the light I got out of them so I replaced the bulbs
with 100W bulbs.  Still unimpressed, I bought some sealed beam halogens at the
local hardware store and was astounded at how much better the light was.  And
these bulbs cost far less than the special Halogen lamps I bought from JC
Whatnot.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6
80 TR8

Nothing in life is as simple as it seams or as simple as we wish it to be.

===     http://www.vtr.org