Re: [TR] Starter won't go

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Starter won't go
From: Cameron Rooke <beaker211@rogers.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 22:26:21 -0500 (EST)
Thanks to everyone for their insight. I cleaned and checked all  connections
and replaced the rusted bolts holding the solenoid to the  body. Still no go.
Then, I checked the cable going from the solenoid to  the starter and found
that the casing had melted from resting on the  exhaust manifold, causing a
short. Replaced the cable and all is fine.  Went for a little cruise to
celebrate. Thanks, all.

  Cameron

Cameron Rooke <beaker211@rogers.com> wrote:  Greetings,

  I seek the wisdom of the list. This morning I went out to the car to  head
off to work. When I turned the key, the starter turned just for a  second then
stopped. On the second try, I just heard a click sound  (sounded like it was
coming from under the centre of the dash). I  thought my battery was dead, so I
took the other car to work thinking I  could just boost it later.

 Well, it is later now and boosting  it had no effect. I'll point out that last
weekend I installed a new  starter solenoid. Everything worked fine until this
morning. Swapping  the old one back didn't change anything - same symptoms.
Sometimes when  I turn the ignition ket to 'accessory' or 'on', I get no power
at all  (I can tell cuz the radio shows no power and none of the idiot lights
come on). The reason I though my battery was dead this morning because  when I
turned the headlight switch on, nothing happened, so it was  likely for the
same reason.

 So, what are the possible  problems here? Bad solenoid? Solenoid not grounded
properly? Short  circuit somewhere? Starter issue? What's the best order of
action?

===     http://www.vtr.org