RE: [TR] Smog exemption cut off in CA

To: "sujit roy" <triumphstag@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Smog exemption cut off in CA
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 15:01:43 -0700
> How old does a car have to be to be exempt from being smogged in CA?

As the law currently stands, model year 1975 and older cars are exempt from
the biannual smog inspection.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

If memory serves, the law also provides for a reduced inspection (no
tailpipe sniffer) for some cars that are 30 years old (but newer than 1975),
but they have to meet standards for "original", "special interest" cars.
However, there doesn't seem to be any mention of that on the DMV's web site,
so perhaps I'm mistaken.  Or, maybe the reduction is taken at the smog
inspection station.

One caveat, especially if you're going in for the first time, be sure to ask
for a "pre-test" where the results are not reported to the state's computer
system.  The smog technician won't want to do it, and may try to charge
extra for it (not unreasonable, since it costs him extra time and money).
But, if it keeps you from being tagged a "gross polluter" by the DMV, the
extra cost and hassle will be well worth it.  My motorhome would have been
tagged a GP ... turned out the problem was a plug wire had fallen against
the manifold and was partially burnt, leading to misfires on that cylinder.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V30A1212D
or
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/Geninfo/Factsheets/What_is_a_G
P-Aug_2003.htm